Wednesday, February 27, 2013

why I coupon...

Why do I coupon? I get that question all the time. Along with weird looks, semi-derogatory remarks, etc. I coupon for lots of little reasons, but all those little reasons add up to 1 big reason-- my family. This is how my household breaks down-- there are now 4 adults, 3 kids, and 3 animals in our mini-mansion. "Papa" (my dad) has now come to stay with us, long/short term is yet to be determined. Now, Mechanic, Papa and the Big B are all employed full time. I'm the only one who is not formally "employed". Why? One word, DAYCARE. 

Now I could go get a job, a "real" one, and I could make $300-500/week doing so. (I know, I've done the working mom thing). But in our area, daycare runs $115+/week/child. Now lets say I could get all 3 of my kids in daycare at $115/wk/child. That's $345/week for me to throw them in daycare for 40 hrs a week so I can contribute monetarily to our family. Even if I got a job that payed $500/wk, after gas and daycare, I'd make NOTHING. So wait, I have to DRIVE my kids to daycare, to DRIVE to work, to DRIVE BACK to pick them up (or hubby, whoever) to MAKE ZERO MONEY!?!? Hahahahaha. Yeah, I don't think so. Bam, every week I save upwards of $345 just in daycare. 

Now, with the fact that we have chosen to have a large family, there obviously has to be a little give and take, especially when it comes to money. There are certain bills that are non-negotiable, or have limited wiggle room- electricity, house payment, etc. So in order to afford bills, and any luxuries we want for ourselves or our children, I coupon. For  instance, our food bill... To feed our family of 7, plus our 3 furry family members and not coupon, would be ASTRONOMICAL. I know we could scrape by if need be, but really, who wants to just scrape by if they don't need to. When budgeting I try to follow the $100/person/month. Now that there are 7 of us, that's $700/month. The hubby and I try to foot as much of the grocery bill as possible during the month. Even though Big B and Papa work full time, there are plenty of bills and expenditures to go around. But I digress. 

I should say "food" bill loosely. Usually that $700 includes everything from food, to diapers, light bulbs, cleaning products, etc. I try to keep my shopping down to 1 day a week as much as possible, in order to cut another cost- gas. Every time I step out of the store, I've usually saved at least 50%. Yes, you heard me, FIFTY PERCENT. Mechanic, Papa and Big B were some of my biggest doubters when I started, but they figured, it was a simple hobby, if it made me happy, do it. And if I could save money doing it, bonus. The first time I walked out of a store "making money" instead of just spending it, Mechanic told everyone we saw. Literally. His enthusiasm is why I love him :) 

Now, the perks. Because I coupon I can afford... To stay home with our children without putting us further in debt... To put my kids in activities. Diva Princess and Superhero are both enrolled in gymnastics as of this last month. If I didn't coupon, we couldn't afford to put 1, much less BOTH preschoolers in gymnastics. (bonus, our gymnastics programs offers discounts for multiple children, yay!) The hubby also indulges me and I have a tanning membership. Being of irish/european descent, I am one pale mama. $12 a month isn't a daunting bill, but it's certainly $12 more than I'd be comfortable spending on myself  if I didn't coupon. Couponing is also allowing us to take our first family vacation together. On top of the resort offering a discount, I've found plenty of other places that offer discounts on their services. Whew! Such a long post! There are lots of other little perks and reasons why I coupon, what are some of yours? Or what are your reasons for not?

No comments:

Post a Comment