Wednesday, February 27, 2013

how I, as a procrastinator, have settled on a cleaning routine... that works! (for me)

Ok confession time: I'm a procrastinator. Now, for anyone that knows me, this is not a confession. It's just a known fact haha. But I'm on a quest to find order in my life. Since I HAVE to clean this mini mansion-- ok so it's just a really large old farmhouse from the late 1800's, but with the amount of cleaning it needs, it FEELS like a mini mansion!-- I've been trying to find a cleaning routine that keeps me from burning out too quick, AND gets the job done. So like any good housewife... to pinterest I trolled ;). And to no surprise of my own, there is a plethora of cleaning schedules various women have shared and found success in. Well, there were lots I liked, but the scenarios in my head were a lot different than the real-life scenarios that played out... Like "Mechanic" coming home from work and I'm crying, the kids are screaming, and the house looks worse than when he left... Ya know, the stuff that a hubby's nightmares are made out of. Well imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon one that WORKED. It worked so well that I felt comfortable starting to tweak it according to my needs, and pondering what I could do with all the "free" time I was going to have... *insert bon bon eating, soap watching, daydream here* This is the cleaning schedule I found from Steph at somewhatsimple.com. And to give credit where credit is due, SHE got it from flylady.net :)

Now, her schedule says 10 mins in each room, now for my needs, and my house, I use 20 minute increments. And this is the routine I'm starting to follow : 


  • MONDAY-- start laundry. 20 min each-- kitchen, bathroom, living room. switch laundry. 20 min break. repeat 20 min rotation. fold laundry on 20 min break #2... repeat as necessary.
  • TUESDAY-- start laundry. 20 min each-- "master" bdrm, bathroom #2, office. repeat steps. after 2nd/3rd rotation, I switch to Monday's roster to make sure I get some daily maintenance in the main rooms. (I do this every day that k/b/lr is not my main focus)
  • WEDNESDAY-- laundry. 20 min each-- laundry/mud room, "dining" room, "spare" bdrm. repeat.
  • THURSDAY-- laundry. 20 min each-- "spare" bdrm #2, storage room, side room. repeat.
  • FRIDAY-- laundry.  20 min-- kitchen, bathroom, living room.
  • SATURDAY--laundry. gymnastics. errands. ONE ROUND of kitchen, bathroom, living room.
  • SUNDAY-- this is my catch up day. I get Mechanic to help do projects around the house, this is the day I reserve to help get the kids' room/play room back in working order (during the week Diva Princess and Superhero, are responsible for putting their room back together after playing. Little Monkey will be learning as he grows)
Now right now, for our family, I need to keep a pretty steady pace in order to get things to where they need to be. So I try to use the time when the other adults go to work, but the kids are still in bed to my advantage. A shower, coffee, emails, phone calls, and starting my rotation. It's a lot of work, and a lot of effort on my part. Especially with 3 kids running around all day! But in the end it's worth it. Especially when I can get my house is order enough to scale my routine to 10 minutes/room! Until we get the TO-DO list whittled down though, it's gonna be a rough(ish) ride. The only difference is, now I have a routine that works. If anyone's reading this, what works for you, and your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment